Sunday, June 29, 2008

Pre-wedding Bride's Party

I went to a kitchen tea yesterday, oh boy what a bore, but before I tell you more about that. Why in the world do they call it a Kitchen tea? I even went to Wikipedia about this one and although Wikipedia has never failed me, it had zero results for Kitchen Tea. I have never consumed any tea at a kitchen tea, only alcohol and coffee. This one didn’t even have any alcohol. I have never seen that the bride to be received tea as gift. Although I don’t think she would be to happy about dried tea leaves that she has to brew, instant tea is way to cheap and would just look common. Where do you buy tea leaves? I have never seen them, I also don’t see any tea shops. If you know of a tea shop in South Africa, please tell me, I want to brew some tea maybe it tastes much better than instant tea. I want to open my own tea shop instead of a coffee shop. Import all kinds of teas and get a tea expert ( don’t know what you call a tea expert ) to come and brew and taste the shit, cause I don’t drink tea. And if you want to drink coffee at my Tea Shop you will get Frisco…..

“The only results I did find was about the tea culture. “Tea is commonly drunk at social events, and many cultures have created intricate formal ceremonies for these events. Western examples of these are afternoon tea and the tea party. In the east, tea ceremonies differ among countries, Japan's complex, formal and serene one being the most known.”

We live in the South, I see no tea culture in the south. Why call it a Kitchen tea then ??

Enough about tea, back to the pre-wedding bride’s party. The bride to be is a doctor in the making and the groom to be my lovely cousin who is exactly 2 weeks younger than me is a dentist. The guest list included a few doctors to be, the bride to be’s stuck up mother and family, my aunt and mom who both felt a bit out of place. Me on the other hand got hubby to lend me his camera so I was resident photographer which was great because I had an excuse to not talk and the fact that I didn’t understand a single thing they are talking about. (Doctor’s talk) made it so much better. It also gave me an excuse to slip outside and take picture of the place and zebras, (another thing on my got to do list - buy hubby a zoom lens). I was way too scared to get closer to the animals.

I went to the reception area to ask them for a price list. The Manager thought I was a photographer (probably saw me outside with the camera snapping away) and asked if it was for my clients and that he would be happy to show me around. Me being as shy as I am just nodded and smiled I gave them my email address to mail me their whole pricelist. Only reason why I actually wanted the price list is because it will make a fab venue for Miss A’s Blessing. (Christening)

Can you tell that I am avoiding to write about the party itself?? I was so boring there is nothing to tell you. The bride to be is a bit blond; she had to guess from who the recipes came from by looking at a baby picture of the person. The photo would be a old sepia photo clearly taken in the late 1970’s early 1980’s. She then compared the photo to someone who was probably already married in 1970’s……. The bridesmaid who asked the questions has a mouse voice and nobody heard anything she said, so everybody just starred blankly and when the people in front laughed the rest would join in. The food was delish. The coffee was warm and tasty. The thank you cards was horrendous. The location was stunning. That people… was the kitchen tea with zero tea consumed.

Photo: Rademeyers Country Estate - http://www.hsg-wed.co.za/venue-v2.php?id=187

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very interesting!
Good luck, Hope you get some leads!

bottonz said...

leads for ?? my tea shop haha

Wide Lawns said...

I've never heard of a kitchen tea either. Did you all sit in the kitchen and drink tea? Maybe kitchen was meant as a euphemism for casual?